If you’re a fan of crab cakes, you’ve got to try these spicy flavoured shrimp cakes. The sweet, salty taste of shrimp really shines through when seasoned with the classic trifecta of flavour: fish sauce, lime juice, and chilli sauce.
To ensure even cooking and cakes that hold together well, be sure to take an extra minute to finely dice all the veggies. To turn any leftovers into lunch, serve shrimp cakes on a toasted whole-wheat English muffin with a smear of Sriracha mayo, lettuce, and tomato.
- 1 pound peeled and deveined raw medium shrimp, chopped
- 1 1/3 cups whole-wheat panko (Japanese breadcrumbs), divided
- 2/3 cup finely diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely diced yellow onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons Thai sweet chilli sauce
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
Combine shrimp, 2/3 cup panko, bell pepper, onion, cilantro, lime juice, fish sauce, chilli sauce, eggs, and garlic in a medium bowl. Shape mixture into 8 patties, and dredge patties in remaining 2/3 cup panko.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add 4 shrimp patties to skillet, and cook until crispy and well browned, about 4 minutes per side. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and remaining 4 shrimp patties.