This flavourful Mashed Taro recipe is so easy to prepare, made with only 5 ingredients. Taro is known as Kochu (dasheen) is cooked until forked tender, mashed with garlic, vegan butter, and salt.
- 1-2 pounds Taro Root, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1tsp grape seed or olive oil
- 3-4 Tbsp Earth Balance Vegan Spread
- 1.5 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Fresh chives
1) Boil the Taro in a large pot of boiling water until fork tender
2) Drain and mash as you would potatoes
3) Heat the oil in a small skillet and gently fry garlic until it just begins to turn brown. (If you have time, you could always roast the full cloves in the oven with their skins on – this is my preferred method, as the roasted garlic is sweeter).
4) Add garlic, Earth Balance and seasoning to Taro
5) Top with freshly chopped chives